If you are evacuating today. . bring your pets.
Systemwide Shutdown Begins at 12 Noon ;
New Yorkers Urged Not to Wait Until Last Minute to Evacuate;
Some Fare and Toll Collection Is Suspended
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority reminds customers that all MTA services will begin an orderly shutdown at about 12 noon in advance of the arrival of Hurricane Irene. These actions are consistent with the MTA’s Hurricane Plan, designed to protect the safety of customers, employees and equipment, and ensure the fastest and safest possible restoration of service after the storm. In addition, the MTA is suspending certain fares and tolls in order to facilitate evacuations.
Details of the MTA’s service plan for Hurricane Irene are as follows:
- In order to facilitate the mandatory evacuations in New York City and Long Island, the MTA will suspend collection of certain fares and tolls.
- Tolls are suspended at the Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge and the Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge.
- Toll collection will be suspended on the Verrazano-Narrows, Throgs Neck, and Bronx-Whitestone Bridges.
- Fares will be suspended on buses throughout the city.
- Fares will be suspended for subway and rail passengers at stations in mandatory evacuation areas.
- Those who wish to evacuate using MTA services should seek out existing services and routes. In addition, the Long Island Rail Road is operating special shuttle trains between Far Rockaway and Valley Stream to assist in evacuation efforts. Additional crews will be available to augment bus service morning.
- Pets will be allowed on board MTA vehicles. Dogs must be leashed and, if possible should be muzzled. Cats and other pets should be in carriers.
- Scheduled weekend construction projects have been cancelled to allow for potential evacuation and suspension of service. All MTA construction sites are being secured, with cranes lowered.
- MTA stations and rail terminals are not designated shelters and will be closed in the event of a service shutdown. Those in need of assistance will be directed to nearby shelters.