SarasotaDog.com received this story from a visitor, its especially important for those of us with puppies growing whose abilities change by the day. Check it out.
As a first time dog owner, some of the joys and pitfalls can be traumatic.
We were so proud of our Sheltie, Travis, when he showed us that he could jump almost 5 feet in the air to catch a tennis ball and bring it back for another throw.
What we didn’t realize was that this leaping ability gave him access to a whole world of things, he shouldn’t have access to – like the kitchen counter.
The first incident, when we arrived home from church, Travis had eaten an entire box of Valentine chocolates. Fortunately, he upped them before they got into his digestive system.
Next it was sugar-free gum. If it had contained Xylitol he would have been in serious trouble.
The third time, he found a jar of Vaseline, with the lid on loosely. He ate a considerable amount. This was not a pleasant experience for either the dog or us, but it wasn’t dangerous.
When the Valentine chocolate incident occured we immediately jumped on-line for information. Calls to the local animal hospital and the Center for Poison control eased
our panic. Their advice was invaluable and we were able to handle each situation at home.
The Animal Poison Control is a national organization, staffed by vets who can tell you exactly what to do and provide follow up calls. There is a fee for their service.
A local animal hospital emergency room was very helpful.
Many dog owners are unaware of some of the poisons which can cause kidney failure.
Some of these foods are grapes, macadamia nuts, garlic, onions and chocolate. Alcohol is toxic, as well.
Our lesson learned was that before we go anywhere – we do a quick check of the house making sure all food items and anything that might be harmful is safely stowed away. Taking this extra step for 30 seconds has saved us lots of heartache, and we can be sure that Travis will continue jumping way high to get that ball!